Thursday, August 03, 2006

V1.B.P4 All those friends that made it better...

The most precious part my trip to England was of course seeing friends...

On my first day in London Jim (literally) took me to the Lovebox Festival. A "small" festival according to him and Emma, but the last festival I went to was the Roots Festival in Amsterdam, hence it was a real shift in scale for me. (like everything else in London, really. the distances, the crowd, everything is bigger compared to here, hence reminded me a bit of Istanbul) anyway, my perception of scale cannot easily adapt from one to the other, so I am still trying to get used to Amsterdam (again).

It was also great to meet Emma. She works for The Big Issue, which I admire greatly, and more... It was refreshing to be around them. Moreover, I had a chance to listen to Rodrigo y Gabriela (click to listen on their "myspace" or click on the photo above for info), who were absolutely stunning. I never thought acoustic guitar could get so exciting, so sexy, so free!

Next person to meet was Ümit, who helped me find my way around all the art and literature bulk of London. I was soooo lucky to have someone to spend a whole day in the bookshops with me, yet, next time I will leave my debit card at home. I literally am broke after all the books I bought, and probably once I digest them I will feel much less impoverished... AND we went to the Globe Theatre, thanks to a suggestion by David. We have seen Coriolanus. I was high on Shakespeare for the rest of the week!

And last but not the least (of course not the least!) I met Tolga on my way back home. He took me to Covent Garden and in return I took him to Lush!, which was a good deal in general. Hence I thought of Eefje and her insistence on taking me to Lush! Amsterdam and thanked her for that...

And special thanks to Erkut, for being my link to the real world and keeping me updated on what was going on re: the Israeli attack on Lebanon.

I am lucky...

No comments: