Friday, October 27, 2006

bokbier festival and remedies for hangovers...


I made a small Internet research on Hangover Cures. I skip the before drinking, as you drink, and before bed parts as I find them useless. One is only aware of a hangover once it is already there. So we will start with what is suggested by various different websites about the after-effects. You can see in capitals whether or not I agree with them as well.

- to drink more... water, that is. YESSS!

- OJ, Irn-Bru or Gatorade. DISAGREE

- Milkshakes, Coca-cola, McDonald's cola, peppermint tea, Lucozade, honey tea, strong black coffee, milk and peach juice (not all at once) ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE I CAN HANDLE A BIT OF PEACH JUICE MAYBE…

- strong black coffee DEFINITELY! (ALTHOUGH I MUST NOTE THAT SOME WEBSITES SUGGEST ITS SIDE EFFECTS: diuretic effect (which makes your dehydration worse), makes you a wide-awake drunk, irritates your stomach further… BUT IN MY CASE IT’S A MUST AS I WOULDN’T LIKE TO HAVE TWO DRUG WITHDRAWALS AT ONCE (ACTUALLY THREE AS HEAVY SMOKING MAKES ME WANT TO QUIT FOR A MORNING)

- Full English Breakfast NO WAY! I AM SURE IT’D WORK BUT THE PROBLEM IS GETTING IT IN.

- strawberry mousse and cheese on toast WOULDN’T WORK WITH ME EITHER.

- fried egg bagels, salt and vinegar crisps, gherkins with black tea, Marmite, oriental ramen noodles, 'two Texan steaks, four eggs, chips and beer', prawn korma with pilau rice, anything from Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Batchelor's Super Noodles… ARE THINGS I WOULDN’T CONSUME EVEN WHEN I’M FEELING PERFECTLY FINE… BUT IF YOU STILL HAVE THE APPETITE FOR SOMETHING WHY NOT GIVE IT A TRY. I'M GUESSING IF YOU CAN KEEP IT DOWN, YOU'RE GOING TO BE OK.

- In the middle ages, for example, hangover sufferers tried to relieve their pain by eating a mixture that included raw eel. UH OH…

- Sleep DEFINITELY HELPS. THE TROUBLE IS TO KEEP IT GOING AS I BECOME WIDE AWAKE AS EARLY AS 8 (SOMETHING I CAN NEVER DO NORMALLY)

- Time YES, EVENTUALLY ALL HANGOVERS ARE CURED IN TIME. EVEN KNOWING THAT HELPS A LOT. UNLESS OF COURSE YOU DID THINGS THAT MAKE YOU BLUSH ONCE THE SUN IS ON AGAIN. (NO, I DIDN’T KILL ANYONE AND AM STILL IN ONE PIECE…)

- The Hair of the Dog (to drink the same drink that you drank the night before) I DON’T TRY THIS. FOR A FEW REASONS: 1. I HAVE TO FIRST REMEMBER AND THEN SELECT FROM AMONG N NUMBER OF DRINKS I MIXED HENCE IT’S UNNERVING 2. IT MAKES ONE THINK “GOSH! IF I CAN DO THIS I MUST HAVE AN ALCOHOL PROBLEM”. 3. I NEED TO DEAL WITH THE PROTESTS OF MY STOMACH

- Bloody Mary OF POSSIBLE USE FOR MILD HANGOVERS

- Milk Thistle (may help the liver process alcohol better) DON’T KNOW

- Gingerroot DON’T KNOW VERY UNLIKELY THOUGH… I KNOW THAT ERKUT STILL CAN’T HANDLE HAVING GINGER (I MEAN THE ROOT) AFTER TRYING IT TO CURE SEASICKNESS.

- Fresh Fruit & Vegetables/Juices DEFINITELY HELPS ME…

- Soup IF IT IS COLD YOGHURT SOUP… YUMM. ANYTIME WITH OR WITHOUT HANGOVER…

- Recipes developed more to punish than cure:

o Bullshot: 1 1/4 - 2 oz vodka or gin, 3-4 oz chilled beef bouillon, 1 tsp lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and black pepper to taste. - Place ice cubes in glass, add ingredients and stir gently.

o Prairie Oyster: 1 ¼ - 2 oz vodka, 1 whole egg, 3 oz tomato juice (or V-8), Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt and black pepper to taste. - The egg should be swallowed whole. If made without alcohol, place ingredients in a shot glass and swallow all at once.

o Corpse Reviver: 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, 3/4 Calvados (an apple-flavored brandy), 1/2 ounce Cognac - Stir well over ice cubes in a mixing glass. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Twist lemon peel over and serve.

o Fallen Angel: 1 1/2 ounce gin, Dash creme de menthe (white), Dash Angostura bitters, Dash lemon juice - Shake over ice cubes, strain into a chilled cocktail glass and serve.

o Prairie Oyster: 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 dash Tabasco, 1 raw egg, Few drops lemon juice, Salt and pepper to taste - Carefully combine ingredients in a shot glass. Down in a single gulp.

Still my favourite is to have someone to tell me that it’ll be fine, and I’m still an ok person. ;)

1 comment:

Ayşem Mert said...

This one came from Laurens: BIKING!!!
Unless you fall of your bike of course..